Friday, March 14, 2014

Bunnies!

Of all the things I never thought I'd spin, Angora bunny fur has to be on the top of the list. But when my mom found out I had an interest in spinning she sent me a box of Random Rovings - things she'd gotten from a local seller in Pueblo and which came to me completely unlabeled, a sampler box in warm colors. Some of them were only good for felting, some of them I've spun into a multicolored yarn which my mom will get back in the form of a hat, and at the bottom of the little box was... a ziplock bag of pure satin fluff. Angora fluff. Fluffy, slippery, undyed, soft as clouds bunny fur.

There is NO WAY I could spin that on my wheel. I have enough problems with bamboo and silk as it is! But, I have a drop spindle, which I've actually never ever used. And a bag of bunny fur that was staring at me longingly. Well, I thought, why not? What's the worst that could happen?

Color me pleasantly surprised!


Compared to spinning on a wheel I find drop spindles incredibly slow and tedious. But it does give you MUCH better control, and though my spinning is on the thick/thin side with lumps and bobbles, it's still pretty much on the lace side of a single of angora. Success!


Obviously I still have a lot to spin, but it's getting easier (pre-drafting is key!) I have two blue and green silk mawatas to spin as well - maybe I'll do them all on the drop spindle and then ply the silk and angora together for something super soft. No idea what I'd do with it... maybe just wind it up and pet it occasionally. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment