Monday, June 16, 2014

Wheel in Color

Back in last christmas I bought myself my very first spinning wheel - an Ashford Kiwi 2, unfinished (no stain, no polish). I've been happily spinning on this wheel half a year now, with vague plans to put some stain and polish on it at some point to protect it.


This is my wheel as of Sunday morning. I realized it was getting a bit grubby - those are foot prints from treadling with bare feet on the pedals, and the bobbin brake knob is turning greyish from hand oils where I'm always turning it. Poor wheel is only half a year old! Time to do something about coating it, but I really really don't have the space or patience to disassemble the entire thing, stain it, and leave it somewhere to dry - not to mention it's now stupidly humid out and putting it outside isn't going to actually make it dry.


Two hours later, here's the first in-progress wheel photo. I'm using outdoor furniture acrylic paint - goes on like melted butter with a little water mixed in, very opaque, dries in a flash. The brake knob, center strut, and pedal concords are done in fire engine red; the pedals are done in red with diluted streaks of metallic gold over the top. The idea for the scheme is going to be red/gold/black.

And no, I'm not taking it apart. =P I probably won't paint ALL of it, just the parts I come in contact with the most often (and the wheel itself, because it'll be pretty). And because acrylic dries so fast, I can go back to spinning within an hour or two of putting a coat of paint on. Yay! \o/

No comments:

Post a Comment